Online links to general and special interest information, libraries, and collections:
IRS Forms & Publications
State of Illinois Individual Tax Forms
Find Facts Fast
These sites are directories of websites which have been selected and recommended by librarians. They are excellent starting points when you need good information about almost anything.
Library Catalogs & Collections
If you have a Library Card, we'll borrow items from other libraries for you! Delivery from most Illinois libraries is free.
- PrairieCat: Catalog for approximately 200 libraries in northern Illinois and eastern Iowa.
- WorldCat.org: An alternate way to search most of the WorldCat catalog, with no login required.
- Digital Illinois: Catalog of electronic collections of documents, photographs, etc., made available online by Illinois libraries.
- Open-Access Text Archive: Thousands of public-domain books and other free books, for online viewing or downloading in plain text or scanned formats. Part of the Internet Archive site.
- Library of Congress Digital Collections: A large number of pamphlets, letters, historic documents, pictures, early films and recordings, and other items are available online.
Magazines and Newspapers.
- Illinois Periodicals Online (IPO): Specific Illinois journals are available. The goal of this project is to scan a magazine's entire backrun through current time.
- BNET Research Center: (Formerly called FindArticles.com.) Index of magazine articles which doesn't require a login. Many articles are available online for free, but "premium" articles carry a pricetag. Subjects covered include: arts, autos, business, health, home and garden, news, sports, and technology.
- Google News: Search for articles from newspaper, TV news, newswires, and other reporting websites.
- Topix: Find local news published on websites and blogs.
Illinois & Local History
Online documents, photos, articles, and other information about the history of Illinois and the local area.
Reputable sources for information about health and medicine.
- MedlinePlus: A medical super-site from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health. Includes extensive information and links on hundreds of conditions and health issues, drug descriptions, a medical encyclopedia, surgery videos, and more.
- HealthFinder.gov: The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' guide to health information.
- NIH SeniorHealth: Information for older adults, from the National Institutes of Health.
- Illinois Health & Wellness: Official guide to state government programs and resources.
- Health-E Illinois: Directory of healthcare providers, facilities, and services.
Consumer & Legal Information
- Find Law: Search for legal information on specific topics.
Buying Guides & General Advice
Find product and auto reviews, shopping tips, information about recalls, and consumer-protection agencies.
- Consumer Reports: A lot of free and useful information is available, but a paid subscription is required for product reviews and ratings.
- ConsumerSearch: "Reviewing the reviews." Compiles and analyzes product reviews from magazines and websites. Great starting point.
- Epinions.com: Products rated by people who bought them.
Cars & Trucks
- Car & Driver: Includes the magazine's road tests and reviews, interactive vehicle comparisons, and Kelley Blue Book values.
- Edmunds.com: Reviews, comparisons, price and value information, and tips for buying new or used vehicles.
- The Truth About Cars: Detailed reviews, written with a sense of humor.
Consumer Protection & Complaints