If you have a Library Card, we'll borrow items from other libraries for you! Delivery from most Illinois libraries is free.
- PrairieCat: Catalog for approximately 200 libraries in northern Illinois and eastern Iowa.
- WorldCat.org: An alternate way to search most of the WorldCat catalog, with no login required.
- Digital Illinois: Catalog of electronic collections of documents, photographs, etc., made available online by Illinois libraries.
- Open-Access Text Archive: Thousands of public-domain books and other free books, for online viewing or downloading in plain text or scanned formats. Part of the Internet Archive site.
- Library of Congress Digital Collections: A large number of pamphlets, letters, historic documents, pictures, early films and recordings, and other items are available online.
Magazines and Newspapers.
- Illinois Periodicals Online (IPO): Specific Illinois journals are available. The goal of this project is to scan a magazine's entire backrun through current time.
- BNET Research Center: (Formerly called FindArticles.com.) Index of magazine articles which doesn't require a login. Many articles are available online for free, but "premium" articles carry a pricetag. Subjects covered include: arts, autos, business, health, home and garden, news, sports, and technology.
- Google News: Search for articles from newspaper, TV news, newswires, and other reporting websites.
- Topix: Find local news published on websites and blogs.
Illinois & Local History
Online documents, photos, articles, and other information about the history of Illinois and the local area.